Monday, September 5, 2011

Blogging with Students

In 2008, I began blogging as part of the 23 things challenge hosted at Library2Play.blogspot.com.  As part of the 23 things I reassessed my thoughts on lifelong learning.  I knew I was a lifelong learner but didn't recognize the full meaning of that until much later.  While I have no intention of acquiring another degree, I am continuing to learn.  Mostly, in the field of educational technology.

In the near future, I hope to begin blogging with my students.  I plan to try something I read about at the middle school science website.  Mrs. LaRosa states in a blog post that she posts an article and requires her students to comment about the article and on each others comments.  I am planning to try this with my first period class.  I have several concerns:
  1. Monitoring student comments.  (What do I do with inappropriate/derogatory comments?)
  2. Managing 130+ comments in timely fashion. (How can I "grade" this many comments?)
  3. What about the kids that do NOT have internet access? (Surely within one/two week time period they could make it to the library to read an article and comment on it.)
  4. Do I use my blog here or do I need to set up another on some other account?  My school's webpage has a place for blogging.  Some how this experiment seems less intimidating with "strangers" than with my co-workers being privy to it.  
I am sure other issues will arise which is why I am going to start with a small class of kids that will follow instructions.


4 comments:

  1. Adam B
    It will not light because both charges aren't making it to the bulb through the wire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie-
    It will not light because both charges are not making it to the bulb through the wire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam B.-
    It has to touch both because both must make a current through the bulb and back through the battery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Antasia-it won't light because both of the main charges wont make it to the bulb thru the wire

    ReplyDelete